Cacio e Pepe Popovers
- 3 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups warm whole milk
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature (aka take them out of the fridge and let them sit)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place about half a teaspoon of butter in each cup of your popover pan (if you don’t have one use a muffin tin)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs until frothy, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon melted butter to the milk and eggs and combine.
- Slowly add in the flour and keep whisking to avoid lumps
- Add in the salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Whisk to combine.
- Let the mix rest for 10 minutes, this helps it rise better in that pan.
- Meanwhile, place the popover pan with butter in the cups in the oven for 1-2 minutes so the butter melts.
- Once the butter has melted, pour the batter into the popover cups, filling them about 1/2 of the way full. You want to do this while the pan is hot and the butter is completely melted. Use either a measuring cup with a spout or pitcher. Basically, anything with a spout is helpful to prevent spillage.
- Bake popovers at 425 for 18 minutes until golden brown. Do not open the oven to peak!!
- Then lower the heat to 350 and bake an additional 20 minutes
- Using a small knife, carefully cut around the sides of each popover to release steam.
- Serve asap to enjoy the buttery hot fluffiness and serve with butter