(serves 2 as a main dish and 4 as a side dish)
For the salad
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, thinly chopped
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- 10 egg roll wrappers or wonton wrappers (or you can buy fried crispy wontons if you don’t want to fry them yourself)
- 2-3 chicken breasts cut into very small pieces
- 1/2 cup of jarred teriyaki sauce like Soy Voy Veri Veri Teriyaki
- Neutral oil for frying (canola or vegetable)
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise (full-fat mayo or kewpie mayo (Japenese mayo) if you have it.)
- 2 tbsp Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Toss small cubes of chicken with 1/2 cup of Soy Voy Veri Veri Teriyaki in a small bowl and bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes until cooked through and a little brown. Set aside to cool. If the pieces are too large, feel free to cut them after they are cooked through and cool.
- Slice the wonton wrappers into very thin strips. You can stack them to do this quickly.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil in a pan with high sides or a Dutch oven (to prevent splattering). You want the oil to be around 360 degrees. If you want to test if the oil is hot, fry one strip.
- Fry the wonton strips in batches, spreading them out so they don’t stick. Remove with a slotted spoon when they turn golden brown. Watch them closely! They take about 10-20 seconds and can burn if you turn away for 1 second.
- Drain fried wontons on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- For the dressing, add all of the ingredients into a mason jar and shake for a good 30-60 seconds, until combined and looks uniform. Make sure that the lid is on well before shaking. (or whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl)
- Lastly, assemble that salad! In a big ass bowl, add the chopped romaine, cooled chicken, wontons, and bean sprouts.
- Dress the salad right before serving! Start with 2-3 tablespoons of dressing and toss. If you think it needs more dressing, keep adding a little at a time.
- Enjoy this crispy, crunchy salad without having to be put on hold 400 times! IMO better than Suki Zuki.