Ingredients (makes 12 buns)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups full-fat Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup your favorite hot sauce
- 1/4 cup Pickle brine (liquid from a pickle jar)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Canola oil for frying
For Buffalo Sauce
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of Frank’s hot sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 12 steamed bao buns (these buns can be found at a local Asian supermarket. Either fresh or frozen.)
How to Make These Babies
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces. Chicken shears make this process much easier.
- In a large bowl or Ziploc bag, add the buttermilk, pickle jar brine, hot sauce, and chicken thighs chunks. Mix to combine.
- Let the chicken marinate either on the kitchen counter for 2 hours or overnight in the fridge. If marinating overnight in the fridge, take the chicken out 2 hours before frying so it can come to room temp.
- In a wide bowl, combine flour, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk marinade and dip each piece in the flour mixture until well coated.
- Heat 1 ½ inches of canola oil in a dutch oven or any large deep pot to 350 degrees.
- Fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through (about 3-4 minutes per side) until VERY VERY crispy. Once done, place the chicken on a cooling rack and hit it with some salt asap. (Salt bae)
- In a small saucepan or a microwave-safe bowl, add the butter, honey, and hot sauce. Whisk the mixture, bring it to a boil then lower it to a simmer. Continuously whisk until combined or place in the microwave for 30-second intervals. Mix and repeat until combined. If the sauce is not spicy enough for you, add a touch of cayenne powder and taste until it’s your desired spice level.
- Add the buffalo sauce to a wide dish and dip both sides of the crispayy chicken in it so it gets completed coated n saucyyy
- Now, you’re ready to assemble your masterpiece!!
- Start with your steamed bao bun, add you’re crispy buff chick, followed by pickles. Layer on more buffalo sauce if you want!
- Lastly, take a second to sit back and be impressed with yooo self & DIG INNNN