Bubby’s Saucy Meatballs
(serves 2-3 as a main dish and 4 as a side dish)
The Tomato Sauce
- 2 24 oz jars of peeled whole tomatoes in puree
- 3 Garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of garlic power
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Fresh basil
* Pro Tip, keep all the ingredients cold!
- 1 lb ground meat (80-90% beef 10-20% fat)
- 1/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup of sweet wine
- 1/4 ketchup
- 1/4 Parmesan cheese + more for topping/garnishing
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
How TF To Make The sauce
- In a large bowl, crush the tomatoes by hand. Breaking up the whole tomatoes into smaller chunks
- Heat a VERY large pot with a lid, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook 2-3 minutes until golden
- Add shallots and onions, cook 2-3 minutes more until translucent
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, chili flakes, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 30 more seconds
- Add crushed tomatoes to cooked onion-garlic combo, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook with the lid on for 8 minutes
- Taste sauce and adjust seasonings (maybe add a little more salt, pepper, or both!)
How TF To Make The Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients: meat, bread crumbs, onion, egg, wine, ketchup, parm, salt, and pepper
- Using your hands, mix until everything is combined but don’t mix a second more than that. Important not to overwork the meat
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Be gentle when forming the meatballs! If meatballs are packed too tightly and compactly, they’ll turn out tough so be sure to roll them loosely.
- Bake the meatballs for about 10 minutes until browned all over
- When then come out of the oven, toss them into the sauce.
- Let meatballs cook through and allow the sauce thicken for an additional 10 minutes.
- Throw in a handful of fresh basil and garnish with some parmmmm cheez
- Serve it upppp with some pasta or garlic bread and enjoy!